I’m having an attack of the new mum January blues. Not enough sleep, changes in routine, worrying about stuff that’s a few months away, miserable weather. So what can I do?
- See people every day – be around other mums and babies, or family or friends.
- Talk to people – share problems and challenges, ask for advice, ask for practical help.
- Recognise how far I’ve come – congratulating a friend on a new arrival gave me a flashback to the early days and made me realise how much we’ve learned.
- Be flexible – change the routine as new things come along eg weaning
- Accept baby sleep for what it is – babies sleep differently to adults. Adapt with each new phase, find ways to get as much sleep as possible.
- Be imperfect. It’s ok to not have a weekly meal plan or make everything from scratch.
- Don’t think about going back to work, other than the necessary planning. The months will pass too quickly, don’t wish them away.
- Get out for a walk every day, even if the weather is miserable. There are always things to see, or people to bump into. A bit of fresh air can do wonders. Take a few photos.
What’s worked for you in overcoming the January blues?