I was talking to a couple of friends last weekend about post-natal mental health. In particular how motherhood feels 6-8 months in, after the intense early phase is over.
Two of the themes that came up in my conversation were comparisons and loneliness, both of which impact a new mum’s mental health, but for different reasons. I’d add another theme to that – identity.
I was going to write about these. But in starting to do so it made me feel very negative and introspective. Maybe I’ll revisit those at some point. Perhaps I won’t.
So instead, here are a few things I’m grateful for or have made me smile recently:
- Fresh air and walking
- Sunshine and signs of spring
- Ante-natal class friends
- Blocks of sleep – a few hours in a row is a lovely thing!
- Trying a few new recipes via Hello Fresh
- The joy babies get out of the simplest things – boxes with lids, picking things up and looking underneath them, watching people walk past, examining bits of broccoli
- A sleeping baby – whether on me or in her cot
This was a sunrise I was lucky enough to see recently. The benefit of being up early with a small person!